Monday, March 23, 2009

Unlucky Lucky

Just got a call from a friend asking for help.

Her mother's dog, Lucky, is not too lucky lately.

Lucky has recently started acting funny and has nipped her mom and bitten her helper, so mom is now considering giving Lucky up to the pound.

My friend is furious. Even though Lucky is not her dog, she feels that this is not the way to treat a living being. She wants to help but is doubtful if any re-training will help a ten year old like Lucky.

You bet.

If Lucky can change from the Lucky-go-merry Lucky to Funny Lucky in a little over two months, Funny Lucky can definitely become the Lucky-go-merry Lucky again in time.

Using the knowledge I've been learning from Pete and our training sessions, I tried explaining to my friend what Lucky has been going through and what should or could be done to help her. My friend, as expected, was skeptical to the idea that Lucky could be "cured".

This sounded so familiar. Didn't I say the same thing about Tinsel just a little over 6 weeks ago?

So I asked her, knowing the Tinsel that she knew back then, did she ever think she could take Tinsel out by herself, lifted her up into her car, and walked her into the Pet Expo amongst a huge crowd of humans and dogs? The answer is a definite no. Why not? Coz Tinsel would have bitten her and others. Oh, I see.... but wasn't this exactly what I did with Lucky last July? Ya.....and if Tinsel can be changed, why wouldn't someone as good as the old Lucky be "cured" as well?

As long as her guardians are firm and persistent.

My friend really wants to help and has even thought of taking Lucky in, but she has to respect her boyfriend and cannot just drag another dog into their home without his consent. But at least, I've gotten her committment that she will not let her mom dump Lucky into the pound without trying rehab first, and if her mom is not persistent enough, she will take the poor girl in and work with me instead.

As a gift and challenge to myself, I will take Lucky as my first practicum in dog rehabilitation, under Pete's guidance and blessings, of course.

And I hereby make a pledge.
I will not fail.

So I guess Lucky is one lucky boy after all!

To our family (including four-legged members),
AM

No comments: