Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day 4 of Training: Mon, Mar 2, 2009

The fourth lesson for Tinsel (and Kimba) was taken outdoors to give them the biggest challenge of their lives.

First destination: Temple Street (廟街)

Strolled down the narrow streets that were lined with shops and packed with pedestrians. It was noisy, busy and simply put, buzzling all around.

Ate dinner at one of the street food stalls (大排檔) right beside an alley, where people kept passing by with bags and trolleys.

Instead of dodging and running around with her tail between her legs, Tinsel was amazingly calm and was quite intruiged. She was completely non-reactive, and just observed everything around us.

It's just unbelieveably amazing.




















Second and final destination: off-leash dog park

I began sweating and dreading when Pete told me that we will be going to an off-leash area with more than 30 off-leash dogs running around. Despite what he has taught and shown us, and even though Tinsel was really showing improvements, I was still doubtful if she can come out of it in one piece. One part of me hoped that she would be good and nothing would happen. Another part of me knew that I would need learn how to handle her if she reacted in the future when Pete's not around. I was so mixed-up that I didn't even know what I should hope for anymore.

I was right behind them when Pete led Tinsel right across the off-leash park, strolling right in between a crowd of dogs. All the attention was immediately drawn onto her and one-by-one the dogs came trailing after and around her. It was nerve-wrecking to watch.

Tinsel freaked out at first, and tried to threaten the dogs away by charging and growling. Pete took charge of the situation and the slight commotion died down before it even started. It was amazing to see the two of them just cut across the park with dogs slowly moving away to let them through.

Moses and the Red Sea. Peter and the crazy dogs.

Wow.

My biggest challenge came when I was told to lead Tinsel across in a similar fashion. It was really, really scary but I did it anyways. I could hear my heart pounding in my head all the while, but everything went along fine. No fighting, no biting. Nothing. Just walked through and back. In one piece.

Wow.

It was almost midnight when Pete wrapped up our last lesson with a recap of the do's and don't's. At one point, he asked if I will be confident enough to continue on Tinsel's training on my own, and I didn't know how to answer him.

Again, I had conflicting feelings.

One part of me thinking: Is that it? Are we done? But she's not completely good with me yet!

The other, better part of me knew that I'll have to take it on and give my best, or else I will never "graduate" from the training myself. So I nodded, though not without reservations.

And with that, we gave each other a big hug and said our goodbyes.

Once again, my heartful thanks to Pete and Cindy.

Missing you guys already... :{
-AM

No comments: