Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Adoption Day, Sun, Mar 29, 2009

A rewarding day indeed.

First and foremost, it was good to be able to re-home some of the pups to suitable families, giving them another chance to a happy, loving life with their new guardians.

But even more so, it was important for me and Cindy to be able to dissuade some potential adoptees from adopting a dog just because "he looks cute" or "my son likes her a lot". Impulsive decisions without regard to the suitability between the dog and the family will almost always guarantee trouble, and possibly, returning of the dog to a shelter in the future.

It was, and will always be, our Mission to find suitable homes for the dogs. Not just any home, but a SUITABLE home.

Helping out at the Adoption Day has given me the opportunity to practice assessing dogs and people, then trying to find the perfect match in between. I was never much of a match-maker myself, but I'm honing my skills and am getting better at it. :)

Moreover, handling the dogs in a variety of settings has enabled me to gain a better understanding of the subtle changes in energetic levels as the dog's emotions changes. Leaning how to tune in with such changes and to interpret what they mean has been one of my biggest obstacles in my "doggie training". Even though I am not completely confident yet, I feel more comfortable now and is learning to trust my feelings a bit more. Like Pete says, things will only get better from now on, and I'm sure of that!

Last but not the least, nothing beats that warmth in my heart when I saw the perky Yorkie trotting off with his new family by his side, knowing that he will very likely be living happily ever after.

Thanks to you all, my four-legged and two-legged friends, for giving me the chance to help and to learn.

Luv, AM


No comments: