Saturday, March 7, 2009

The day that started it all

For the past 4 years since we had Tinsel, we have tried all sorts of training protocols, from different trainers, to different approaches, and not to mention, to an array of tools, collars and leashes. Every little thing made a slight change in her, good or bad, and we could see how she slowly improved as she became less afraid and more willing to meet "certain" friends, both two and four-legged. It was quite rewarding in a way as we could see our efforts being repaid, even though in very small increments at a time. It was, on the other hand, also quite frustrating, as her condition was never stable and she will react more often than not. It became clear to us that we must be missing something important, something crucial for her successful rehabilitation.

I happened upon Pete's blog when I was searching for dog training in Hong Kong some years back, when I first considered moving back to Hong Kong. His love of animals and passion in helping them, shone through in his writings and I was deeply touched as well as amazed at what he has achieved with his own dogs, Mark and Cream. It was also reassuring to know that there will be someone in Hong Kong who may be able to help Tinsel if needed. Since then, I would visit Pete's blog from time to time, just to see how the kids are doing and how life's been treating them.

As I got sidetracked with daily events, the idea of re-training Tinsel was being put on the back burner for a while. One of the reason also being that I would like to give her time to settle down after the big move. Then one day in early February, the thought just came to mind. Hey, maybe it's time.

Like I said in my testimonial, I wasn't expecting any miracle cure. On the contrary, I was just hoping to give Tinsel another chance to pick up a few new ideas / reassurances from another trainer. Pete naturally came to mind because of the impression he has given me as a loving, caring, dog-lover / trainer. I knew nothing of him other than what I read in his blog, but it was enough to tell me that this guy genuinely cares. And so I got in touch with him, and scheduled for our first session on Wednesday, February 11th, 2009.


The day that started it all.

-AM

2 comments:

SanHong said...

hi,i like dogs too.
we have three dogs at home.they are very cute!

Tinsel and Kimba said...

thanks! :)