Friday, March 20, 2009

Day 1 of Ann's Training: Thur, Mar 19, 2009

Hmm.....I'm smelling goo-oood.

Sitting by the computer with a cup of steamy hot Jasmine. Not the ordinary ones but my personal pick from my tea master's cellar. Yum.

Kids snoring their heads off, running in their dreams.

Clean, crisp air. Everything is so quiet, so....serene.

And I'm smelling good.

How I love early mornings!

Got home about two hours ago from my first day of "training" with Pete.

Not training dogs, but training me. With me on a leash and Pete walking me around Lantau.

Not quite, but close.

Even though I wasn't physcially on a leash, I had to constantly refrain myself from making those common mistakes that I, and most "dog lovers", make. And whenever I forget, Pete will always be very quick in reminding me - ah-ah!

So I guess I had myself on an invisible leash.

If you ask me or Pete how I did today, I would say only so-so. Pete may even say that I wasn't up to par, as I have made a couple of the same mistakes over again.

*sigh*
Old habits die hard. It's not like I don't understand what should and should not be done. It's just that when things are happening, I didn't pay enough attention and reacted inappropriately without using my brains first.

I am getting the feeling that training dogs are not difficult. but training us the humans are. I mean, look at me, I know the do's and don't's by heart already, but I will still commit the same mistakes again as soon as I let myself off guard.

What else can I say? There is no excuses for being careless.

Pay more attention and practice, practice, practice!

On the whole, today was very well spent as I did get to see a variety of dogs and got to handle some of the more "problematic" ones. It wasn't too eventful as I wasn't bitten or attacked, but it was good practice for me. Better yet, I could learn from observing Pete's methods and ask questions right on the spot, gaining practical experience right away.

Yeah, I stink when I got home, smelling like a dirty dog. But hey, who cares. twenty minutes in a hot shower and I'm smelling nice and clean already. Besides, I've never have any issues with caring for dogs, even if it meant getting down on my hands and knees. Yeah, I may be a clean freak to a certain extent, but not always. When circumstances change, I change too. And when it comes to dogs, I have no hesitations.

It has been an interesting day and I think I have learned a bit more that what I already knew before the start of the day. Progress may be a bit slow but I'll try to catch up.

Until next time, I will dutifully practice the do's and don't's with my own kiddies at home then!

Hmm... now I'm getting sleepy.

Gotta teach tomorrow, so I'd better go check in with my boyfriend, Chau Kung-Tzi, now.

Ta-ta,
AM

No comments: