Saturday, March 21, 2009

I have a dream...

Woke up this morning dreaming of dogs, lotsa them, running around in a lush green field, happy, healthy. I was there with someone, just sitting on a ledge and watching them play. It was a beautiful place and it felt so good to be there, sharing the beauty, sharing the moment.

Just writing about it and recalling my dream brings tears to my eyes. How I wished things can be so harmonious, so, in sync with nature.

But the reality is, it isn't.

Reality is harsh. Even though there are many lucky pups who are living happily under the care of their guardians, there are a greater number of them who are being abused, beaten, or even, left to die hanging on a tree.

It saddens my heart to see or even hear about such cruelty.

Maybe my dream was just an idealistic projection of my wishes, prompted by my visit to the shelter, or maybe it was a scene from a past or future life. In any case, I came to realize why I felt the way I did last night.

When I told Pete that I felt sorry for the dogs in the shelter, it sounded as if I was criticizing how they are being cared for. Now I know that it wasn't what I really meant.

I felt sorry for them because they are unhappy.

Unhappy because they have been abused or abandoned by their trusted guardians.

Unhappy because they are now distrustful, fearful, and, for some, mentally unstable.

Unhappy because they cannot have free access to the outside world where they belong.

The shelter and its volunteers are trying their best in helping the dogs, treating any conditions they have, caring for their daily needs, and even, rehabilitating them if necessary.

All in the hope that one day these dogs will be able to find a good home so they could run in their own "lush green field" under the care of their new guardians.

I have a dream.

Let's make that dream come true.

One day at a time.

One dog at a time.
-AM

No comments: