Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Diggin in

I had a little debate with my Mom the other day, which sort of prompted me to do some reflections on myself.

The conversation sort of started with dog training, on how I am so happy I've found someone to learn the tricks from etc...

Then my Mom commented that I've always been like this, having loads of interests but have no persistency to see any of them through.

It wasn't directed as a criticism, but more like a mother stating a fact about her daughter. Plus, this wasn't the first time I've heard that comment so I wasn't really upset or anything.

But somehow, I just felt that it's about time to clarify the issue with my Mom. So I asked her to explain what she meant.

"Well, you've dipped your fingers into this and into that, and everytime you'll go really crazy about them. Then what? A couple of months or maybe a year later, when you're bored with them, you will pick up something else."

Exactly.

My dear mother really knows her daughter well. It's just that her definition of "persistency" is slightly different from mine.

Yes, I love dipping my fingers into all sorts of things, and Yes, I go really crazy every time, fueling my interest with all my passion. I don't just "dip my fingers" into it, I will dive in full fledge and experience whatever I will be doing to the fullest capacity. Then what? Then after sometime, when I find it non-challenging or when there is nothing new to learn anymore, I will start something else. And something else. And something else. All true. Very true, in fact.

But I don't consider myself nonpersistent. I believe I am living my life to the fullest because I am truly experiencing the journey of learning, evolving and growing.

Who is more persistent? Mr. A who practices Tai-Chi once a week for 5 years, or Mr. B who has only practiced for a year, but practices 5 times a week? The total number of practices may be the same, but Mr. B is putting a lot more committment to his practice, and will definitely benefit more from it.

I don't half-ass on things. I dig in. Simple as that.

But that alone doesn't justify the meaning of the word, persistent, as there should be a matter of continuity involved.

Yeah right - but did I mention I will just drop whatever I was doing and start something new, or did I just say I'll start something new?

Most of the interests or hobbies that I have had or am having, will continue to be a part of my life even after I've "moved on" to something else. The only things I drop out entirely were the ones that I've explored and found to be unsuitable for me or my lifestyle. Others, like wine and tea tasting, dogs (everything about them), baking (dog cookies), reading, bowling, travelling, yoga, etc....have all at one time or another, been the center of my intense passion. Once I've experienced them to my satisfaction, they will be weaved into my daily lives and become a part of me.

In other words, not being a wine fanatic anymore doesn't mean I won't be enjoying a nice bottle of wine from time to time.

They will always be there, ready to join in at whatever I will be doing. It's just that I don't do them with the same kind of intensity that I used to have, that' all.

So, do you call that persistent, or not?
-AM

No comments: