Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Yes! Tinsel!

We did it!

All it took was a paradigm shift on my part, and Tinsel's back on track again.

Yes! Yes! Yes!!

After discussing my recent "set-back" with Pete, I came to the realization that I've been handling Tinsel differently from other dogs that are not mine, which made all the difference in the outcome.

When I handled other dogs, I would be calm, assertive, prepared, as well as non-attached. If the dog did something wrong, I would issue a minor correction, and kept moving on. But with my own kid, I would issue the correction and then wonder what went wrong or why she misbehaved. And that's all it takes...a slight negative thought in my mind, and Tinsel would sense it and react more severely.

When we took our walk this evening, I detached myself from the role of "Tinsel's Mom" as best as I could, and handled her just as I would handle other dogs, and it worked brilliantly. At first she would still try to challenge other dogs, but she sensed the indifference in me and calmed down quite readily. Our walk became enjoyable again, just like that!

It was so nice to be back on track again.

Thanks Pete, for your patience and invaluable advice.

And thanks to Tinsel and Kimba, for sharing and learning along my side. :)

Luv ya all,
AM

No comments: