Thursday, April 16, 2009

Gratitudes

Woke up with a bloody stiff neck this morning. Must have slept entirely on one side the whole night through. Darn.

Dinner with Philip again last night, and got quite drunk. Three bottles of sake over a three hour long dinner. A much appreciated get together, after quite a tiring day with mixed emotions.

The day that my dear teacher Pete and his family had to bid farewell to their Golden Retriever, Mark.

Tried to carry on my day as usual, but there was this cloud hanging on the back of my mind all the time, wondering if they are doing OK, and wishing them well.

I was scheduled for a training session with Lucky in the afternoon, but I was slightly hesitant as I wasn't really "in the mood" and felt a bit unstable, energetically speaking. Almost changed my plan, but I pressed myself to go through with it. For better or for worse. What the hell, stop hesitating, just go and do it.

My teacher should be proud. Of me. And of himself.

Lucky has improved a lot since his last lesson. It has been difficult for me to get through to him before, as it would be almost impossible to snap him out of his "rage" once he got into it. Our last lesson was a real breakthrough as Pete showed me how to breach through his raging and help him to his senses. This time, with a better sense of our energies, I was able to curb his reactions before he could develop into a rage. We could then enjoy a quiet and non-eventful walk with him trotting nicely by my side. He could even walk by other dogs without acting up at all. Whatta boy!

I then asked my friend and her mother to come and join us for our training, and both of them were pleasantly surprised at Lucky's calm demeanor. They took turns walking him and were both amazed at how well he behaved. It was so good to see my friend's mother walking so proudly with Lucky by her side. Hard to imagine that she was the same nervous lady who was holding on to a wildly raging Lucky just a little over a week ago!

Shortly after, a Golden Retriever came into sight and Lucky started yelping and charging. For some reason, he has this fixation and always reacted extremely adversely towards them. I immediately took over, corrected him, and kept walking alongside the other dog from across the pavement. It did take a while, but slowly, Lucky recovered and ceased panting and charging. In the end, both dogs were able to sit and watch each other peacefully from across the narrow street, without ever a slight growl or yelp. We then continued down the road and passed another dog without even a glitch. My friend and her mother were totally stunned.

Imagine how proud they were when they walk home with a calm and quiet Lucky, under the amazed looks from the guards and neighbors.

I was humbled. Humbled and gratified.

Humbled because my teacher has indeed taught me, and Lucky, really well.

Gratified because I have the chance to learn from him, and from Lucky, as well.

Thanks, Pete. Even though you may feel really shitty right now, please know that your efforts and teachings were not in vain. You've been helping so many much needed souls, saving many lives. One huge big hug with a heartful thank you from your student, and on behalf of all those you've helped.

And thanks to Steph, for giving me the chance to work with Lucky and Yoda. I promise I will keep up my standards and will not fail you, nor them.

And last but not the least, a big hug to my dear friend Philip for taking me out and keeping my spirits uplifted, for being there and for....akem...supplying the "spirits".

Thanks all,
AM

One calm Lucky heeling his proud human:

1 comment:

Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

Thank you for your work that day as, it had made an unbearable day, just that slightly more bearable.

That photo for me, better than any worldly possesion I have.