Sunday, April 12, 2009

Atlas: from Big Bully to Big Teddy

Another rewarding day at the shelter.

We were originally going to see a foster family with a German Shepherd, but because of a change in schedule, we ended up at the shelter instead. It turned out that they have taken in a Lab-mix that has exhibited some "serious" aggression towards other dogs, i.e. bit another dog quite severly, so Pete decided to go and see what the dog's about.

The Lab-mix in question wasn't really a case at all - all he needed was consistent and fair leadership and he'll gladly obey. I actually had a great time walking him around Mui Wo - he's so sweet that I almost fell for him too! (I'm not going to say who, but I've already fallen for one of the dogs at the shelter, who has this little soft spot in my heart now.) Anyways, it's still good practice for me as not only that I was getting more "hands-on" experience, I had another chance to observe how Pete assessed and trained a different dog, which actually gave me more experience points. For me, every experience, every observation, really counts.

To be honest, I am very pleased with myself today. It's not that I did everything perfectly, in fact, I did make some mistakes, but I felt that things are finally coming together. I'm not sure how to phrase this, but in the past, my grip on dog training have been inconsistent and sometimes even erratic. It's kind of like walking semi-blindfolded in a supposedly familiar neighborhood - yes, I know the place, but no, I'm not sure if I'm going the right way. It seemed like I'm finally putting the puzzle together now and I'm getting a way more firmer grip of things. I have a slightly better control on my energetic shield as well.

Anyways, before I get too tipsy to write coherantly, I want to post a little note about Atlas the Big Bully: he is now, truly, a Big Teddy for me. He has shown me a lot of respect today - never pulled on the leash and never tried anything funny. Even went down the stairs behind me willingly! I'm so happy and grateful. We have trained each other to be a better handler/trainer, as well as a better dog/follower. Thanks, big boy - I'm so blessed to have you. :)

And of course, one big applaud to my teacher again. You know I'm not kissing your pretty behind and I really mean what I'm saying: Thanks.

And now, I'm going to finish my wine and crash in with a big big smile. :)

Nitey,
AM

P.S. BTW, for those who have been wondering, those disposable dehumidifying tubs do not work in the wine fridge. My wine labels are starting to mold up again and this time I'm going to drink it all up. No more wiping downs for me anymore. Period.

2 comments:

Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

Glad you enjoyed your day at the shelter Anne. And the 'dog' you have a soft spot for - Bindi - let's all hive her the best chance she can have of being successfully adopted.

Meanwhile, we really should think up a name for the lab-mix.

Looking forward to visiting them together with you sometime soon.

Tinsel and Kimba said...

I can't believe it. I didn't talk about her, nor did I pet her in front of anyone...how could you possibly know??!!

And yes, I truly hope everyone of the kids there will be able to find a good home. My heart aches for them...

And the Lab - how about "Rex"? And see if you know why ;}

And last but not the least, thanks for taking me in and teaching me so much. I'm always looking forward to the next "experience" if I can call it.

Cheers, Ann