Monday, April 27, 2009

Saturday the 26th

Went to help out at the shelter with Pete.

For some reason, I find myself a bit unfocused and it took me quite a while longer than expected to get things done. I was actually slightly overwhelmed at first and were a bit disoriented. Luckily, with Pete's support and guidance, I was able to complete all the required tasks and could go home without worrying.

Thanks, my teacher, for being there despite feeling so miserable with your cough and fever. Couldn't have done this alone, you know!!

It would have been a disappointing day for me if not for one big lover boy - Atlas.

Yes, Atlas the St. Bernard.

It has been two weeks since I last saw him, and he has been getting along really well. Not only that his coat is growing back out, his hind legs are getting stronger and his muscles are no longer atrophying. He's growing into this "potentially" handsome looking St. Bernard, with a teddy bear disposition. Really? Really. Once you've properly earned his respect.

It was actually very touching for me to see Atlas that day. Because of his size and his "old manners", volunteers at the shelter were unable to walk him without some sort of struggle. So naturally, when the shelter's owner were away, there will be no one to take him out and he will only be peeing and pooping on the balcony. As a result, anybody coming into the shelter wasn't really a concern for him since they were not there for him anyway. When I got into the shelter, all the dogs were barking and sniffing at me, with the exception of Atlas. He was lying in his room, with his head facing the back wall. He wasn't even looking at the door. It was so sad, like he's given up hope that anybody will be giving him any attention.

Without saying a word, I stood outside his gate and waited. Very soon I saw his nose twitch, and there! He got up, turned around and sniffed me with a big waggy tail. Boy, he was SO happy to see me! I held out the leash, and he put his head inside the loop right away. Out we went for our walk and I had a great time with him on the beach. Quality time.

He was even more happy and surprised when he saw Pete that he just cuddled up to him as if he's one big kid and Pete's one big dad, only with big strings of saliva drooling all over!

This joy, this contentment in his eyes: priceless.

The biggest reward for any hardwork, any long day.

Couldn't have asked for more.

-AM

Lover boy with Pete: so at ease now!

No comments: