Saturday, April 18, 2009

Angels

During my freshman year at SF State, I met a buddhist friend who asked if I knew what the meaning of life is.

At the time, I was still in my teens and everything was, of course, about me. Me, me, and me. So my answer was, simply, to live happily. And since I was all about me, everything evolved around me. Anything to my dislike and I would ditch it without a blink. No one, nothing, gets in the way of my "living happily".

And over the years, I've asked myself the same question over and again. My answer has remain unchanged: to live happily.

What would life be if we don't know happiness? What's the purpose of living, if we were to live for plain existence? Very true, isn't it?

Yup. But one thing. The interpretation, the meaning of "living happily" is no longer the same.

As I am growing older (or old, to be honest), my awareness of people and things have expanded, and happiness is no longer a me-me-me kind of thing. It has evolved into the kind of happiness that results from bringing a smile or a bit of comfort to people around me. Sharing the joy of life, celebrating the love of living. Not just me anymore, but with my family, my friends, as well as people around us.

All of this resulted over dire realization of the mistakes of my past, as well as a slow but lengthy process of awakening to my true consciousness, along with the help of some "Angels" that I've met along the way.

By Angels, I do not mean religious beings with wings, but rather, those that have appeared in our lives with a meaning, a purpose: to teach us something we need to know.

Ever met someone or some animal that you have to help care for, in such a way that demanded more than you would "usually" give? It may seem at first that you were giving in a lot, but only to realize later that you've actually gained from the act because you have learned something new. Like love, responsibility, and persistence, for example.

Or someone that may seem obnoxious at first, but upon further knowing, found to be a completely supportive and trustworthy friend. The Angel that's here to help you look beyond what your eyes can see, to use your heart, and to connect within.

Or even, someone that is just plainly there to help and guide you when you felt lost or swayed, or to lend you a shoulder when you most needed one. Someone who's just a straightforward Angel without any disguises.

I have been blessed to have met quite a few Angels along my way. Each and every one of them showing me something new, something crucial, that will help shape me into a better me. A better me that could find and extend happiness in my every breathing day.

We're all here for a reason. To learn and to evolve.

We're all here in each other's lives for yet an even better reason. To help each other learn and evolve.

Cheers my Angels,
AM

2 comments:

Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

Obnoxious. Who? Me?

May I remind you that my middle names are modest, humble, introvert and shy.

:p

Tinsel and Kimba said...

What? You think I'm stupid or something? To even remotely hint that Pete is obnoxious will mean not only a slap in my palm, but more likely, a kick in my butt at the open doors of a wild dog pen!

Nah, you're a straight forward type of guy, so naturally, the Straightforward Angel.

You should know that! Now that's being a bit obnoxious - ouch! don't slap me! ;)