Sunday, June 28, 2009

My dream garden...

Another plant to add to my dream garden...Manuka tree.

Drowned myself in a full day of Manuka honey and fought back the bug. Still a little bit tender around my right jaw but everything else is back to normal (or close to normal by now).

So, going back to my dream garden.....

OK, I got a garden once, when we first moved to Vancouver. Nice quaint house with a sizeable front and back yard. But it was back then. No idea of what gardening was and no interest whatsoever. So I asked a gardener to come in and take care of everything every 10 days or so. He did a really good job though, putting nice evergreen plants around the perimeter of the yard and planting colorful seasonal flowers in between. Tulips, petonias, and others whose name I'll never know. I had a really pretty garden, but I never really looked at it. Didn't know how to appreciate it. It wasn't for long anyways, for we moved into a condo shortly after a year in the house. Well, it's just too much for us, a house with so many rooms meant guests, visitors, relatives, from all around the globe. A two bedroom condo was much better, and we found one that has all the amenities and luxuries of a house, so why not!

And in the years that followed, I slowly realized how useful a garden could be. Especially when I saw how my friend Erika could put together a fresh organic salad simply from her own garden! I could never forget that juicy, subtly sweet tasting lettuce, yummm...

All that herbs that could be grown, organically, in my own backyard garden (if I have one now), all freshly harvested for each meal. Hmmm.....

Harvesting my own lavender buds, then drying them for an eye pillow or a moth repellent for the closets. Yeah.....

The fragrance of Champaca flowers, blooming....ummm...

Maybe a small mango tree - something extra yummy to look forward to in the years to come.

And now, a Manuka tree (if it can survive HK climate), so we will have our own "medicinal chest" in our own garden, in combination with the Lavender and other herbs.

IF I get to have my own garden again, that is.

But I'm not sure if I'll be getting one soon. A backyard garden in Hong Kong?

HA! Just keep dreaming.
AM










No comments: