Wednesday, May 6, 2009

One little inspiration...

Okay. Time for a little confession.

I've realized that I'm slowly becoming a half-ass-er, or whatya-ma-call it.

This came clear to me during my Power yoga class this evening, when I was inverted in Sirsasana II, a tripod headstand, and a trail of sweat started crawling down my chest towards my chin.

I was supposedly focusing on engaging my bandhas and enjoying my ujjayi, but then all of a sudden, all I could focus on was the sweat, slowly dripping, crawling, on my skin.

This was when I realized that my practice has shifted without my knowledge. I was no longer giving my fullest. In the past, I was always completely focused and dedicated when I'm on the mat. I would play my edges and push myself to my limits in each and every pose. And I truly enjoyed such moments...connecting my mind with my breath, in bliss.

But now, on a superficial level, it may seem that everything's the same and I'm still connected and playing my edges and all. But it has finally dawned on me that it's now limited to the physical level and I am only half committed on a mental as well as a spiritual level.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have noticed that bead of sweat or any other external disturbances.

Looking back, this sort of started after I returned to Hong Kong, as I still remembered complaining about how "physical" Hong Kong's yoga was and how the overall energy wasn't calming or spiritually enriching. Then very slowly, unknowingly, I drifted along with the mass and lose sight of my true practice.

Luckily I've finally came to my realization so I could change direction and turn everything right again.

And coming to think of it, this whole thing actually sparked off from a recent conversation with a friend who used to teach yoga and was disappointed with how physical it has became. Little did I know, that "casual" conversation actually planted a seed in my mind which came to this awakening.

Thanks, my friend, for another little inspiration that will initiate much positive changes!

Cheers,
Ann

No comments: