Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Friday, May 15, 2009: LFS Kennels Part II

Converted from an abandoned pig farm, the Lau Fau Shan Dog Kennels consisted of about 10 separate enclosed pig pens plus a few storage huts (I didn't count). The dogs, who were mostly strays, were being housed 18-20 per converted pig pen, i.e. per kennel. Some of the calmer, friendlier ones have free roaming of the kennel grounds, while the less human/dog friendly ones were being confined within separate kennels, forming their own packs, co-existing and fighting amongst themselves. It was not a pretty sight, as the dogs were mostly mid to larger sized mutts, and usually strays. Most of them have roamed the villages all their lives and have never had a "home", not to mention ever being on a leash. They know no rules other than striving for survival, fighting for food, and defending their own safety. Most, if not all of them, have scars from old and recent fights.

It was sad to see them in such a state. Even more so to realize that they will have very minimal chance of being adopted, of having a real loving home to call their own. The reality is, a lot of them will probably spend the remaining days of their lives in this kennel.

This may seem quite disheartening at first. However, without Kelly and her kennel, these "unappealing" dogs would have had a much shorter life, fending for themselves in the villages, and being chased after by us, the humans. Those who may be caught by the AFCD, would most likely be put down because of their "unadoptability". Within the kennel grounds now, at least they will have a second chance, no matter how slim that chance may be. Those with a cuter face or friendlier nature may find themselves through to other dog rescues or even a new home. Those who are not so appealing or adoptable, could at least spend their remaining days under the shelter of the kennel grounds.

It is not in my capacity to comment or criticize the if's, why's and how's of the kennel, but I have to say that I have the utmost respect for shelter owners like Okka and Kelly; for their love of animals, their determination, and courage to continue rescuing and caring for them. Day after day, month after month, year after year.

Helping out at the shelters has been one of the most deep reaching experience of my dog training, and I would never forget this first day at the Lau Fau Shan Kennels.

Entering the first dog kennel was quite an experience. The dogs were not aggressive, but definitely defensive, trying to protect their turf and defend their grounds. It was quite hair-raising at first, with so many large and mean looking dogs sniffing, barking, nudging or even jumping at me. Before I walked through the fence, I had thought that I would either freak out or I would have to hold onto Pete for my dear life as long as I was inside of those fences. But to my surprise, all it took was a couple of deep inhales and exhales, and I felt my emotions switching naturally from nervous to calm. Maybe it was because of Pete's reassuring and calming energy, or maybe it was because of that little streak of stubborness in me. Or maybe, a little of both. All I knew was, I wouldn't be able to work with the dogs if I couldn't get inside of those fences. I had no time to fidget around and I just gotta go in and do my job. This tranformation from nervous to calm, this switching over, happened so naturally that it was almost trance-like. It was only afterwards that I came to the realization that at that very moment, I have, again, achieved a deeper understanding of my energies.

The second, and following kennels just happened naturally afterwards. Even sitting inside individual cages with the dogs were a lot less scary for me. I began to have a better grip on my energies; when to put on my calming energy in order to calm the dogs, and when I would need to elevate to a more assertive energy in order to break down fights or ward off advances from a challenging dog. Subtle but natural transitions of enerigies now all getting clearer and clearer for me.

I'm so amazed and gratified to have such an incredible experience.

Yes, it was hard work. It was really exhaustive. And I got briused all over. But it was worth it. Every moment of it.

-AM





One of the dog kennels from above...




Pete teaching one of the dogs that having a leash is not a scary thing....




Waiting for my second chance... would you give me a new home please?

No comments: